Dr. Eric Senn
Lab-STICC / University of South Brittany
School for Engineers
phone: +33 610652812
You will find bellow a summary of my c.v., including my research and
teaching activities, projects I worked on, and PhD I supervised.
- Since 1999: Associate Professor, Research Supervisor, member of the
Lab-STICC Laboratory / University of South-Brittany, in charge of
research and teaching activities at the South-Brittany National School
- 1995 - 1999 : Research Professor of the French Ministry of Defense, in
charge of Study and Research in the GIP (Geography Image and Perception)
Laboratory for the French Army.
- 2008 University of South-Brittany Lorient: Accreditation to Supervise
Research in Electronics (State PhD) "Methods and tools for managing
consumption in electronic circuits and systems design"
- 1998 Paris XI University Orsay: PhD in Electronics "Asynchronous
design methodology, application to the design of a communication
processor for parallel
- 1993 Paris XI University Orsay: Master in Electronics, speciality
signal processing and electronic architectures
- 1992 Ecole Normale Supérieure Cachan: Agrégation (French National
Contest) in Electrical Engineering
- 1991 Pierre & Marie Curie, Paris VI University Paris: Honnors
Degree (Maîtrise) in Electronics, Electrotechnics and Automatics
- 1990 Pierre & Marie Curie, Paris VI University Paris: Bachelor
Degree (Licence) in Electronics, Electrotechnics and Automatics
My main ﬁeld of research is the developement of methods, tools and models
for hardware and software design under constraints (for embedded systems,
real-time and energy consumption constraints). Four application domains
are targetted : autonomous robots, factory of the future, multi-media
video streaming, and ambient
assisted living. Several sub-topics are adressed :
- Software design : energy consumption estimation and optimisation in
embedded software on heterogeneous multi-cores architectures, digital
signal processors, general purpose processors (tools SoftExplorer and
CAT - Consumption Analysis Toolbox)
- Hardware design : memory constraints integration; reconfigurable
architectures and energy consumption optimisation; low-power high-level
synthesis (research on the high-level synthesis tool GAUT); asynchronous
architectures and circuits.
- System design : system level consumption estimation; high-level
characterization and modeling of embedded applications on heterogeneous
targets, domain specific languages (for consumption analysis) and
associated model transformations.
- Operating systems : real-time operating systems study and modeling.
ROS Robot Operating System framework optimization.
- Memory optimisation : data storage and transfer exploration ; data
mapping optimisation, memory architecture and hierarchy optimisation;
memory consumption modeling.
- Model based design approach : high-level methods and tools for
specification, verification, validation and design of complex electronic
embedded systems; developement of model-driven engineering approaches ;
meta-models and associated model transformations (tool RDAL).
- CMOS active pixel sensors : design of the vision sensors and embedded
elementary processors network,
- VLSI integration, design methodology for vision sensors.
- Research on asynchronous circuits and systems design : design of an
- processors, CMOS VLSI integration.
- Project PHENIX : building of an hyper-parallel computer.
- Project PVLSAR : programmable artiﬁcial retinas (CMOS active pixel
- Project MOCASSIN : methodology for the design of parallel
architectures specialized in digital image
My research activity is sustained by my work inside different national
and european projects, and thanks to
many collaborations, that I was able to set up. Those fundings allowed to
hire diﬀerent research engineers and
technicians, many master students under trial, and PhD students (19) that
I have / had under supervision.
- EFIGI (EFfIcient future and new Generation vIdeo coding) 2 academic
and 6 industrial partners 2017–2020
Development of new video coding and decoding solutions adapted to
newcoming video broadcasting standards and current market evolutions
(use of generalist networks (IP, 3GPP, PMR), mobile terminals (smart
phones, tablets), new format (UHD/HDR/HFR/360), and increasing need for
- GREENVIDEO 2 academic and 6 industrial partners 2013–2016
Development of mechanisms to lower the energy consumption at every steps
in the image / video chain : creation, transformation, broadcasting and
restitution. Results of the project allow to change the approach for
optimizing parameters of the video ﬂow coding and broadcasting thanks to
the integration of energy consumption constraints in addition to the
bandwidth / quality optimisations.
- Open-PEOPLE (Open Power and Energy Optimization PLatform and
Estimator) 6 partners 2009–2012
Building of an open platform for estimating and optimizing the power and
energy consumption of heterogeneous embedded systems. The platform is
coupled to an automated test-bench that allows remote consumption
measurements on diﬀerent targeted boards, and to retreive and process
data for model building.
- GLASSES (Software Engineering for Embedded Systems) 3 partners
Application of model-driven approaches to develop models and tools
(Domain Speciﬁc Languages and associated tool chains) ﬁtted to the
design of embedded systems in speciﬁc application domains.
- BASIS : Beacon Application Speciﬁc Integrated Solutions 3 partners
Development of a low-cost oﬀshore personnal location beacon targetting
leasure boat market.
- SPICES (Support for Predictable Integration of mission Critical
Embedded Systems) 14 partners 2006–2009
The objectif of the European project SPICES was to develop, following a
model-driven approach centered on AADL (Architecture Analysis &
Design Language), a set of tools for the design, veriﬁcation, and
development of real-time embedded systems in aerospace engineering.
I am the author or co-author of 138 publications: 18 articles in
international journals, 4 in national journals, 90 in international
conferences proceedings, 22 in national conferences proceedings, and 4
book chapters. I am also a reviewer for many national and international
conferences and journals, and an expert project proposal reviewer for the
French National Research Agency. I am involved in several national
research networks and regularly part of conferences program commitees. I
had in these different contexts the opportunity to lead speciﬁc actions.
Thematic action leader "Consumption and Energy" for the SoC-SiP Research
Group from 2013 to 2015. Member of the steering comitee. Organizer of the
"Thermal and consumption" speciﬁc day and the ECOFAC 2014 summer school on
Thematic action leader "Consumption for information, image, signal, and
vision" for the Information Signal Image and vision Systems Research Group
from 2003 to 2005. Organizer of two speciﬁc days : "Consumption for
information, image, signal, vision systems" and "Special consumption day".
Program commitee member for national and international conferences
- DASIP 2012 (Conference on Design and Architectures for Signal and
Image Processing), Karlsruhe,
- DASIP 2011, Tampere, Finland.
- EWili 2012, 2013 and 2014, Embed With Linux workshop, Lorient, France.
- ECOFAC 2010, 2012, 2014 (Summer school on low-power), Plestin les
Reviewer for several national and international conferences and journals
- TTI, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics.
- TECS, ACM Transactions on Embedded Computing Systems.
- TODAES, ACM Transactions on Design Automation of Electronic Systems.
- JES, EURASIP Journal on Embedded Systems.
- IET Computers and Digital Techniques Journal.
- IJCAS, International Journal of Control, Automation, and Systems.
- DASIP, Conference on Design and Architectures for Signal and Image
- AVICPS, Analytic Virtual Integration for Cyber Physical Systems.
- ReConFig, International Conference on ReConFigurable Computing and
- EWili, Embed With Linux workshop.
- Microprocessors & Microsystems
- Walid Touzout 2018–2021 "Optimization of Energy Models and Behaviors
in the Development of Mobile Robotics Applications in the Robot
Operating System Infrastructure"
- Mohammed Bey Ahmed Khernache 2017–2020 "Performance and energy
efficiency for newcoming video standards on low-power multi-cores
- Yohann Rioual 2016–2019 "Automatic model generation for energy
optimisation of cyber-physical systems"
- Pierre Olivier 2011–2014 "Uniﬁed methodology for performance and
consumption estimation in memory hierarchies for embedded systems"
- Yahia Benmoussa 2010–2013 "Design of global consumption models for
mobile terminals and multimedia applications"
- Hugo Kerhascouet 2013–2016 "Optimisation and denoising for true-wind
measurements in oﬀshore racing"
- Molham Darwish 2012–2015 "Deployment and architecture of ambient
assisted living services"
- Jean-Philippe Schneider 2012–2015 "MoC based simulator for sea-bed
- Dominique Blouin 2010–2013 "Domain speciﬁc languages for quantity
estimation and analysis, and requirements engineering, and application
to model-based embedded systems design"
- Bassem Ouni 2009–2012 "Operating system power modelling and
- Santhosh Rethinagiri 2009–2012 "Heterogeneous Power Models for
Heterogeneous System-Level Design"
- Saadia Douhib 2006–2009 "Operating systems power and energy
consumption characterization for critical embedded systems described in
- Yannig Savary 2004–2007 "Study of reconﬁgurable architectures to
optimise consumption in embedded applications"
- Florian Marteil 2004–2007 "Methodology to optimize memory hierarchy
for Sysytem On Chip"
- David Elleouet 2003–2006 "Methods for consumption modeling, estimation
and optimisation for image and signal processing applications in FPGA
reconﬁgurable systems design"
- Gwénolé Corre 2002–2005 "Memory units management in high-level
- Sébastien Pignolo 1999–2002 "Energy consumption optimisation in
real-time embedded applications"
- Johann Laurent 1999–2002 "Consumption estimation in system level
design of real-time embedded applications"
- Delphine Emzivat 1999–2000 "Study and design of a smart pixel sensor
for vision in industrial quality control"
Engineering school @ Master level
- Robotics : Image Processing and Machine Perception
- Digital Signal Processing
- Signal Processing
- Signals and Systems
- Industrial Automation
- Control and regulation
University @ Master level
- Logistics and Supply Chain
- Control and regulation
- Analogic Electronics
- Industrial Automation
For a list of publications, please follow that link : PUBLICATIONS
To download my c.v. please follow that link : CV